Sausalito Sunday Funday
One miserably cold and foggy afternoon last month, some bloggers and I made the trek across the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito, where we were greeted by blessedly warm sunshine, expertly crafted cocktails and fine food courtesy of Poggio Trattoria and Copita Tequileria y Comida.
I learned many things that day – mainly that whenever I’m seeking respite from Karl, I should be visiting Sausalito – but also that Sausalito’s culinary scene rivals San Fran’s. Other thoughts and revelations can be found below:
- Poggio’s pizzas are damn delicious.
- I used to not be able to stand the taste of campari, but it’s slowly grown on me. If you need to ease into it, I’d highly recommend Poggio’s sbagliato (a negroni made with sparkling wine instead of gin). If you're already into negronis, then you're in for quite the treat – Poggio's has a whole negroni menu.
- Sweet corn custard – at least when prepared by Poggio’s executive chef Benjamin Balesteri – can actually be quite tasty, especially when topped with morel mushrooms, parmigiano reggiano and arugula. This was the dish I expected to like the least, but ended up loving the most.
- Copita elevates their tequila cocktails with giant artisanal ice cubes usually reserved for Old-Fashioneds, which I loved. Get the Smoking Gun (Xicaru mezcal, St. Germain, tequila blanco, lime, grapefruit) – seriously one of the tastiest tequila drinks I've ever had. Yum.
- Although I love my cheap Mission burritos, I do appreciate a contemporary take on Mexican food. Duck sopes with avocado mousse and fried pork belly tacos are genius – especially when the end result is so well balanced (light and not too oily, yet full of flavor) while still paying homage to traditional recipes.
On another note, I'm sorry for falling behind on blog posts (again), but I have a good excuse this time – I just got back from a girls' trip in Hawaii that I can't wait to share with y'all! In the meantime, you can follow along on my Instagram, where I've also posted more photos of both the above meals. Stay tuned!
Poggio Trattoria. 777 Bridgeway, Sausalito, CA 94965.
Copita Tequileria y Comida. 739 Bridgeway, Sausalito, CA 94965.