Bangkok Photo Diary
I first went to Bangkok as a teen—too young to enjoy the night markets and the local street snacks and the hipster coffee shops. This time around, I actually fell in love, hard. There are few places I’ve been to in the world that energized/inspired me as much as BKK (with the exception of Beijing and San Francisco, of course).
I stayed in Thonglor (dubbed “Bangkok’s coolest neighborhood” by Food Republic) for my entire brief 4-day stay; here’s my short list of must-visit places in the ‘hood:
- Supanniga Eating Room – Traditional Thai cuisine in a modern, hip setting. The owner designed a menu that pays homage to his grandmother’s recipes – and the result is a whole new world of culinary possibilities. If you can only order one thing, order the fried cabbage in fish sauce. Believe it or not, this is their most popular dish – and the flavors are truly spectacular.
- Soul Food Mahanakorn – How delicious does soul-inspired Thai food and drink sound? (Think Southern Thai fried chicken with pickled watermelon rinds, stir-fried baby kale with crispy pork, and a Lychee Collins.) And it’s all executed perfectly with super-fresh ingredients, which is why this trendy spot gets rave reviews from everyone, including CNN Travel and the Telegraph.
- The Commons – A new(ish) loft-like community mall which all the locals are calling “Thonglor’s backyard.” This is hands down one of the most Instagrammable spaces I have ever been to in my entire life – concrete walls, lush green gardens, and adorable coffee shops/restaurants/boutiques, all of which draw a beautiful and stylish crowd, of course.
- Roast – While you’re at The Commons, stop at Roast for a strong cup of joe and some tasty Western brunch food in a beautiful ambiance.
- J. Boroski – This secret speakeasy bar doesn’t have a website, a sign or a menu; if you can find it, however, you’ll be treated to some of the best drinks in the city. Most of the cocktails I sampled at other establishments were too fruity/sweet, but here, the bartenders ask you for your likes and dislikes, and create a bespoke cocktail tailored to your taste buds.