Can't Live Without
One of the first things I did upon coming back to the USA was, of course, stock up on beauty products. While Beijing has made major strides when it comes to clothing and handbag options, beauty counters are still deeply lacking. Here are my favorite finds so far.
1. Bioderma Crealine is actually available in both the US and China via Amazon. Used backstage at all the runway shows, it's pretty much the best toner/makeup remover out there. It's fragrance-free, alcohol-free and phenoxyandhanol-free, and designed for dry sensitive skin (my skin, in a nutshell). I usually use a more oily eye makeup remover and then rub Bioderma all over my face afterwards to get off any residual powder or bronzer.
2. Alterna Bamboo Voluminous Shampoo & Conditioner smells fantastic (and I'm really picky about scents) and doesn't contain any sodium lauryl sulfate. I hate shampoo that makes my hair feel too clean; these maintain body and work perfectly.
3. Thanks to Lisa Eldridge, Chanel beauty products are my latest obsession. This particular eyeshadow (Chanel 86 Ebloui) is drop-dead gorgeous. The texture is really more like a cream shadow, which I'd sworn off in high school – but am now realizing is the sh**! It goes on super easy, stays on all day and, rest assured, never creases. I usually hate shimmer, but this shade manages to make it look classy.
4. Bobbi Brown Corrector Concealer is moist and, when it dries, becomes one with your natural skin color. Seriously life-changing. I wear peach (as does my other friend with much tanner skin), which seems to be yellow-based and really well-suited for Asian coloring.
5. I'd tried tinted moisturizer before and hadn't really been sold. But Bobbi Brown Tinted Moisturizer is in another playing field altogether. It smooths out any blemishes I have and just makes me look a bit more refreshed in the mornings.
6. .... and of course I've saved the best for last. Chanel Les Beiges is a brand new product, and I think it will be revelatory for the beauty industry. Besides having stunning packaging (which I'm always a sucker for), it illuminates and transforms your skin in a totally natural-looking way. It's more like a bronzer/powder than just a powder, because it casts such a glow of health across your face. Just watch this video if you don't believe me.
For a list of my favorite bargain beauty buys, click here.